I have been working hard on my craft since 2004, and I think I have a skill level that shows in my work. I am the do over queen and there are many heads without bodies to suggest that these mistakes drive me to the perfect end. The finished doll always seems to lead to the next doll, one is born out of another. This is why I love making dolls. It is the air I breathe and pretty much defines me. I am a doll maker.

This may sound strange but these bodiless heads and headless bodies speak to me. I have control over the parts and pieces individually, but the position involved in the connection is revealed at the moment the pieces touch one another for the first time. The head moves me to sew it in a certain pose, same with the hands and arms. The whole doll forms itself to be expressive according to its idea of itself.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Will You Indulge Me?


From 1992

I painted this piece in quick movements that were brought about by an emotional state that was far more destructive than productive. It just proves that art is a great place to release your demons into. After I created this, I looked at it and asked myself "what the heck is that about?" So then I wrote down my answer.....................

I find hollow eyes and a gaping mouth
Cold long arms that fall weakly alongside
I find disillusionment is victor
These are the bleached bones of a tormented soul
Crying for the end

7 comments:

Chicken Lips said...

Beautiful and moving piece.

Sue said...

My doc is a great supporter of using your art to express your emotions - no matter how dark they are. He maintains it is the best
therapy in the world.

Nat, you may have been in a dark place at that time, however this piece is quite
dramatic, and beautiful. Judging by your light hearted works now, this type of "therapy" works for you!

Unknown said...

Nat,

Thank you always for honesty to your feelings through art, or your words. Very brave soul you have.

Smiles,

Sonia ;)

Sage Ravenwood said...

Your words were a perfect symmetry to that piece. After reading what you wrote, I studied the artwork, I could see it there waiting for me. (Hugs)Indigo

Barb said...

Wow...its great you have an outlet to release your emotions....Barb

Chrisy said...

Really like this work...and the words...thanks for sharing with us...

Nat said...

Thank you all. It was a painful trip that created the piece, but I wouldn't give the art up in trade for some happiness.