I have been working hard on my craft since 2004, and I think I have a skill level that shows in my work. I am the do over queen and there are many heads without bodies to suggest that these mistakes drive me to the perfect end. The finished doll always seems to lead to the next doll, one is born out of another. This is why I love making dolls. It is the air I breathe and pretty much defines me. I am a doll maker.

This may sound strange but these bodiless heads and headless bodies speak to me. I have control over the parts and pieces individually, but the position involved in the connection is revealed at the moment the pieces touch one another for the first time. The head moves me to sew it in a certain pose, same with the hands and arms. The whole doll forms itself to be expressive according to its idea of itself.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Making a Doll for the Hat

About 15 years ago I took a costuming class with the drama department at a local university. The whole atmosphere was magical and inspiring. I had this idea to make a doll that was based around the top hat. I played with it but life got in my way and I got lost in others reality.
Ever heard the saying "if you love something let it go and if it comes back to you then it is yours"? Well look at what has come back to me. The doll with the top hat.These dolls are inspired by "Steampunk" and "Gangs of New York" and of course the Top Hat.This is the doll I wanted to make all those years ago. Actually he is better, because my skills have been developed over the years of doll making. This is the doll, where I finally realize that old dream.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

So awesome Nat..I love the top hat..I love the way the arms give that extra personality...

Smiles,
Sonia ;)

Lezlei Ann Young said...

I have GOT to try that top hat!!! Thanks for the tutorial Nat!!!

Lezlei

Sage Ravenwood said...

I think this my favorite doll by far. Definitely has that 'Gangs of New York' vibe. (Hugs)Indigo

YoursTruli said...

These are absolutely wonderful! Your work is amazing as is your attention to detail.

Alice Stroppel said...

Great work, love your figures.

Odddollz by Jacqui said...

Nat these two are fabulous!!! I love them and their top hats!! Great character and expressions:)

LOVE THEM

HUGZ
jacqui

julie said...

Nat...these little guys are truly alive....
Gangs of New York...pretty heavy stuff! Your top hatted dolls feel a little bit Beetle juice to me..mischievous, but not deadly! :)

Flora said...

FABULOUS!!!
Blessings,Flora

Dosha said...

I was perusing blogs today and happened upon your delightful blog; it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance! Your top hat creations are marvelous beyond words! These dolls are timeless. Brilliant. And I'm in love.

Warm Wishes,

Natasha

ENVYDOLLS said...

I've always had a thing for top hats! It's amazing I don't have one around the place, actually... but now you've reminded me!

You have wonderful work here. Gangs of New York did leave an impression on me, and your dolls have captured it, definitely. =)

~Alex