I have been working hard on my craft since 2004, and I think I have a skill level that shows in my work. I am the do over queen and there are many heads without bodies to suggest that these mistakes drive me to the perfect end. The finished doll always seems to lead to the next doll, one is born out of another. This is why I love making dolls. It is the air I breathe and pretty much defines me. I am a doll maker.

This may sound strange but these bodiless heads and headless bodies speak to me. I have control over the parts and pieces individually, but the position involved in the connection is revealed at the moment the pieces touch one another for the first time. The head moves me to sew it in a certain pose, same with the hands and arms. The whole doll forms itself to be expressive according to its idea of itself.

Friday, June 25, 2010

For Real Fridays

I do love the complicated journey. My life and my art reflect this fact. To take the easy way out means to lose much experience and knowledge. I've needed all the do overs. I needed to travel the same road many times to learn its lessons.I don't do easy art either. I started with woodcut prints. Painted to escape my death. Sewed and sculpted Art Dolls that take weeks to create. I love a process with many steps before I reach the final piece. There is a deeper connection to be attained between artist and art. I can disappear into a dreamworld and then I can express my soul. Can't imagine not having my art speak to me and teach me. I don't want to be its master. I want forever to stay its student.
Sometimes I felt I was lost in the journey, but now I know that my truth was being found. I feel like it all makes sense. I am even making sense of that trip I took in corporate Amerika . . .

1 comment:

Mandy Saile said...

never the master, always the student...I like that...cause how boring would thngs become if we knew it all right, there'd be little space to push ourselves furthur and furthur....

Thanks so much for popping over to blogspot and leaving a note Nat...sooo appriecated.

Be well and happy creating.