I have been working hard on my craft since 2004, and I think I have a skill level that shows in my work. I am the do over queen and there are many heads without bodies to suggest that these mistakes drive me to the perfect end. The finished doll always seems to lead to the next doll, one is born out of another. This is why I love making dolls. It is the air I breathe and pretty much defines me. I am a doll maker.

This may sound strange but these bodiless heads and headless bodies speak to me. I have control over the parts and pieces individually, but the position involved in the connection is revealed at the moment the pieces touch one another for the first time. The head moves me to sew it in a certain pose, same with the hands and arms. The whole doll forms itself to be expressive according to its idea of itself.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dark Eyes

I am trying to make a doll head with darker and more inset eyes. By placing a small button in the middle of my eye circle and pulling to the back with the thread, I was able to get a void. I hope this will help with the darkness I am trying to achieve in the eyes. We shall see.


I took the buttons off one of the heads, but the eye ended up losing some form, so I just covered the buttons on the other heads with paper clay.

This is their beginnings, as we all know in my dollmaking, the dolls decide everything themselves. I am just there to follow their instructions............................................

4 comments:

Chicken Lips said...

The button idea is a great way to get some depth! These are already looking fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Looking great so far. Can't wait to see them when they're finished. I love the mouths and lips.

Lezlei Ann Young said...

the button works...but a strong thread on the inside and outer points of the eyes might work too if you didn't want the button to stay there.

But they are really looking good!

Lezlei

Ann said...

just found your blog....AMAZING ART DOLLS....I'm so blown away!! I've made cloth dolls, but mine are stick figures compared to yours!! I am hoping someday to be able to design some on my own..right now I use patterns I get. Your work is a feast for the eyes!!! I am so going to follow your blog!!